Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Two Sides

There are two sides to every story.  

If I were to understand chickens, I might be hearing things like "But we were here first, why do we have to share?" (old girls)  And maybe "We aren't trying to offend anyone, but we need to scratch and peck on the ground too.  We can't stay on the roof of this small coop all day long, every day." (young girls)  
 
Who is right?  

Our chicken-sitter kept the girls together in the coop all weekend while we were out of town.  They gave all the girls opportunities to be in the coop in their own little cliques so everyone had a chance to scratch and peck on the ground.  However, when we returned from our mini-vacation I felt annoyed that the old girls still insisted on being so relentless in their quest to isolate the new girls.  Except for Bill.  She is the one old girl reaching out to the new girls.  
 
So, please tell me if I am crazy...I decided to put Fitz and Lou in the pen for a few days to allow Bill, BB, and Weezy take charge of Red Door Coop together.  My thinking is that if the new girls and Bill can bond and get to know the space as a group, they will be stronger.  And hopefully when Fitz and Lou are returned to the coop later this week, they will not be so darn bossy and intimidating.
 
We'll see. 







No comments: