Friday, January 16, 2015

Gift From The East...and The Past


Over the winter holidays, Red Door Coop received a very special gift from a family friend in Massachusetts.  My grandmother, Lucelia, (Mama Hen's Mama's Mama - that's a mouthful!) had a best friend named Kathy.  Kathy's daughter, Linda, sent my mom a tablecloth stitched by her Mom in the late 1940's.  In the accompanying note she wrote "it was used when her [Kathy's] crafty friends got together-for pie, coffee, and chatter."  What a treat!

I asked my Mom to tell me a little bit more about Lucelia and Kathy.  She wrote:
Lucelia and Kathy were like sisters.  A sister was someone my Mom always wanted, she had 3 brothers.  They had a LOT of the same interests which , as you know, makes life more fun.  Having a female sidekick is such a blessing!!!  They talked on the phone almost every morning, probably after my Dad went to work.  They were both passionate about nature:  birds, bees, flowers (especially),etc.  Every Christmas my Mom gave Kathy a beautiful glass jar, so, Kathy could put moss and plants from the woods in it,  a terrarium which my Mom kept on the window sill in the dining room.  It was always very special...
Later on, Kathy and Harry took in patients from a local hospital which helped the patients to adjust back into society.  She did a lot of reading and I will never forget all the arts and crafts she was always doing.  She was a meticulous seamstress, artistic, read a lot, many hand crafts, and was very caring.  Kathy and my Mom kept in touch with each other after my Mom moved to the South shore, near my sister after my father's death.
Harry and Kathy came to my Mom's wake.  Kathy was wearing a BEE pin on her hat which was exactly like the one my Mom wore,  I think I still have it?? I was so HAPPY to see them and that bee pin really meant a lot to me. 

Thanks for these special chickens and this little peek into the past. 

2 comments:

Kim said...

That is a really a wonderful gift. The history of it and the wonderful vintage feel. Looks great on your table!

allikpeters said...

We feel so lucky to have this treasure. I love what my mom wrote about my Nana and her friend Kathy. For the record, my Nana was also very talented in many crafty things! :) We are scared to eat on it...mostly because I am so messy...and we don't want it to get dirty.